The Azusa Scholars Program is designed to develop the recipients’ leadership skills and to promote community service involvement, particularly in the city of Azusa. The Program encompasses a variety of events designed to facilitate the students’ personal, professional, academic, and spiritual growth through the use of faculty and community speakers, team-building activities, off-campus service projects, and individually-assigned mentoring relationships.
In 1998, honorable Mayor Joe Rocha approached Azusa Pacific University administrators and suggested the university establish a scholarship program aimed at attracting the best graduating seniors from Azusa Unified School District. The partnership between APU and Rocha resulted in the university launching the Celebrate Azusa/Nancy Moore Scholarship, also known as Azusa Scholars. Shortly thereafter, the Scholarship was expanded to include the Celebrate Azusa/Cynthia C. McGuire Scholarship, awarded to transfer students from Citrus College. This program awards up to 9 graduates of AUSD a $5,000 scholarship renewable for four years (three for transfers). All recipients have to be recognized for their community-minded involvement and impressive academic records.
Qualifications & Eligibility
- Be attending one of the three high schools in the Azusa Unified School District (Azusa/Gladstone/Sierra High School) or be a graduate of AUSD and currently attending Citrus College
- Be admitted to APU
- Reside in Azusa
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Four Cornerstones of Azusa Pacific University: Christ, Scholarship, Community, and Service
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (AUSD high school students) or 2.2 (Citrus College student)
- Possess a passion for community service within the Azusa Community
- Demonstrate proven leadership skills (eg. volunteer work in the City of Azusa, ASB, co-curricular activities in high school, athletics, etc.)
For more information regarding Azusa Scholars, please contact Michelle Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org